List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio, openFileManagerWindow and /tmp
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-02-25 17:25:17

Matt Koss wrote:

> On Po, 22 feb 1999, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >While trying to use KIO to make kmid net-transparent, I've found
> >that I have to define this function on my own program,
> >what should it do ?
> >KGet only does an assert(0); in it, is it ever called ?
> >I don't think any application should ever go out without telling
> >the user why (and how to report the problem).
>
> You just need the empty implementation of this method somewhere in your app.

But what does it do ? I ask because if everyone should implement an empty
function,
well, I doubt this function should exist :-)

> I guess I'll put some more help text into kiolib. Torben seems to be busy with
> other things ( that are much more important for  future of KDE :-) )
>

> >Anyway, I think kio lacks a funtion such as KFM::download
> >that is quite easy to use instead of a KioJob::copy
> >(which needs an additional test to check if it's a local
> >file or not), but which is anyway quite nice, good job !
>
> I don't understand. Why do you need to test for a local file ?

Well, if its a local filename I donīt need to use KioJob to download it.
Using filename2=KFM::download(filename) you can open the local file called
filename2, no matter if filename was a local or remote file (in which case, it
was downloaded to a temporal directory with a temporal name).
The trick is that if itīs a local filename, it doesnīt do a temp
copy, but returns the pointer to the local filename. So itīs faster.
Also, there is another function that delete the file if it was a temporal
copy but leaves it if it was the original (local) one, although I donīt know
how it works.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez