List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Journalling
From:       Hans Meine <hansmeine () dial-net ! de>
Date:       1999-02-24 15:13:43

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>Rik Hemsley wrote:
>> Peter Silva wrote:
>> > sounds cool, but the word "Journalling" in file system and DB circles
>> > means much more than this.  It would be better to call the daemon
>> > something like recentd, and provide an "Open Recent" extension to the file
>> > dialog.
>>
>> What journalling means to kernel hackers and DB types is irrelevant to KDE
>> users. The word journal, to a non-technical person, means - put simply - a
>> log of recent events. Therefore the journal in the file dialog means the log
>> of recent files.
>
>I, too, think it's a cool idea.. but I agree with Peter that "journalling"
>is the wrong word for it.  One doesn't need to be a kernal hacker or "DB
>type" to know what a journaled file system is.  It may well be that in
>a few years, most KDE users will be non-technical.  At the moment, though,
>the vast majority of Unix users *are* technical and using "Journal" in
>this was will be misleading to many.
Right. And especially true if you try to think of someone mislead by "recent
documents"?!?

--

Ciao,
   /  /

Hans Meine                                mail me: hans_meine@gmx.net
Harkortstr. 138                       http://www.dialnet.de/hansmeine
D-22765 Hamburg                              ICQ: RastaJoe <28674493>
[Germany]                                     Phone: ++49-40-38612523