List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Journalling
From:       "Rik Hemsley" <rikkus () postmaster ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-02-23 15:23:17

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> One doesn't need to be a kernal hacker or "DB type" to know what a
journaled
> file system is.

And you think that in the context of KDE, when you _know_ you're not going
to find the slighest hint at a reference to the file system journal or some
part of your DB lying around the interface...

> It may well be that in a few years, most KDE users will be non-technical.
> At the moment, though, the vast majority of Unix users *are* technical and
> using "Journal" in this was will be misleading to many.

'I wonder what'll happen when I click the journal button on the open
dialog - do I risk massive fs/DB corruption ?' ;)

Well I have showed the thing to some non-technical (windoze-savvy) users,
and the word journal gave them the idea of what it was.

However.

I have to agree that we don't have that many non-technical users yet. I'll
call it something else. Please remember though that this is not an app, it's
designed to extend KDE's workings as an integral part. The actual name is
not highly visible.

Want me to rename kjournalw.cpp etc as well ?

Now if only I could work out an easy way to make a patch. As soon as I
configure and make, even though I do make distclean and some hand cleaning,
I still get lots of extra crap in my diff. The perils of big projects, eh.

Cheers,
Rik