List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Java bindings for KDE/Qt
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-02-23 11:47:34

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:
> [snip]
> > This is probably not very realistic, but the best solution would be to port
> > the AWT classes to use KDE/Qt instead of motif, thus offering true 100% Java
> > integration.
>
> I tried this back when KDE was around 6 months old and I was using java a
> lot for work. I could show windows etc using Qt widgets, but I did not
> know how to mix Java's threads with Qt's event loop. I tried calling
> processEvents but that sucked because it used too much CPU. But letting
> the Qt event loop take over the app was suboptimal since that would
> basically block every other thread in the JVM.
>
> Something that occurred to me was to run a pipe between the JVM and a
> GUI proxy process, sort of like the X server, that does all the GUI stuff
> and can send and receive events from the JVM. It would be slow but it
> would work...
>
> I haven't really looked into it since then. It seemed like a lot of hard
> work (j2c++ and a standardised JNI didn't exist then) because every class
> and every method would have needed to be run through a generated extern C
> method before being hooked into the JVM. I didn't want to do all that, so
> I just stopped. :) Maybe it will be easier now with Roberto's QtC stuff?

If someone wants to use QtC, please wait until tomorrow (or the day after)!

I am redoing it, with some thought this time ;-)

> Someone with more idea of JVMs and interfacing them with C++ would do a
> lot better than me, I guess. But I'd love to have a java that used Qt
> instead of Motif for its AWT.
>
> -Taj.
>
> Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
> School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   KDE: The Desktop sans Toga

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.