List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Another feature idea: 'DOS mode'
From:       "Rik Hemsley" <rikkus () postmaster ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-02-20 0:09:42

Richard Moore wrote:
> Is it possible to make Linux shutdown safely then boot DOS without doing
> a full reset?

Hmm I don't have DOS but I do know that to avoid doing a full reset you need
to set the kernel parameter reboot=BIOS.
Perhaps this isn't what you mean though :)

You can make Linux boot something else by changing the LILO default, which
requires root of course.

I've seen SuSE and Caldera restart the kernel without a reboot but I think
it would require major hackery (and root) to get the kernel to budge over
and allow another OS to overwrite it.

The only real way is to have the machine set to boot DOS automatically. I
remember back when I had DOS 6 and Linux, I used to boot Linux with LOADLIN
using something in CONFIG.SYS, a kind of menu.

Actually this same idea was suggested to me by my father yesterday - he
liked my journalling thing and asked whether it could work between Linux and
Win98, and even WABI/WINE. One of his suggestions was that when you clicked
a recent file in KDE, that was a Word document, your machine rebooted to
Win98 and loaded it. I hope he was joking :)

>I don't know if this is a good idea or just plain stupid, I'm sure
>someone
>will tell me though. :-)

If I say it's a stupid idea I'm calling my dad stupid too ;)

Rik