List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Asking for testers (Shadow + NIS)
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-02-18 21:31:14

Hello,

I need testers for a patch to the shadow authentication in
conjunction with NIS. It patches checkpass_shadow.cpp,
so I would like opions from Shadow users as well.

There were several reports about kcheckpass not working on all
possible NIS platforms. After gathering several reports, it looks
like there is something like a "Shadow + NIS" authentification.

I recieved this patch to resolve the trouble. It adds some extra
lines to checkpass_shadow.cpp. I would like to hear your opinion
- whether the patch works
- if it is a good idea to patch kcheckpass in this way
- if this patch introduces security problems

Please keep in mind that kcheckpass runs SUID or SGID - so
please inspect the patched source closely.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone