List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-02-14 22:57:34

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Patrick D. Dowler wrote:

> It would be a BIG mistake for core KDE components to lose
> the current (pretty good) cross-platform capabilities. As such,
> sys admin tools should not be part of the KDE (the desktop).

Yes and no.  There are some things that require getting rather intimate
with the kernel or other OS specific bits to accomplish.

> There could be KDE-aware or KDE-enhanced or KDE-whatever
> sys admin tools, but I think they should be kept separate (in the
> source code at least). Those who make binary packages for specific
> systems can include the appropriate tools as they see fit.

What I'd like to propose is some sort of kde-favoriteos module for each
specific OS.  I imagine that most likely there would be three, Linux,
*BSD, and SunOS 4.x (Obviously more if we have a bunch of say HP-UX
hackers around here).

Alas, I think coolo would not be thrilled to have zeus used as a dumping
ground like this however...

> There are a few things which are system tools but are also more
> or less platform independent (kdm, for example). That could be a
> special case.

- alex