List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Pert-bindings
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-02-14 1:32:24

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Sammy Ford wrote:
>Dont get me wrong of course it would be better for all programmers to use C++ but
>not all of them do, I'm not saying that parts of KDE should be written but as a
>side project some one create other bindings for different languages so that the
>number of potential applications developers would grow.

Don't get me wrong :) There's definitely room for rapid prototyping languages
and of course it is nice to have bindings for these, especially Perl.

I just fall over the wording "success of tcl/tk". All I personally learned
from it is that it's the wrong approach to do GUI programming. It's soooo
powerful to have real classes for your own widgets rather then just lists of
strings as one and only datatype. I saw a couple of ambitious tcl/tk projects
failing due to this. At the beginning it looks always great, but after a while
the complexity and lack of performance will bite you.

Matthias