List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Pert-bindings
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-02-14 0:42:37

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Sammy Ford wrote:
>Exactly, plus you open KDE up to a larger number of potential app
>developers.
>Not everyone is going to learn C++ to program in an environment. Look at
>the
>success of tcl/tk. The goal of KDE was to lower the bar on  un*x  and to

Any impressive tcl/tk programs out there that I missed checking out?

A friend of mine once ported a three year developed tcl/tk project (based on
the tk canvas) within one week to KDE/Qt. The speed gain was between five
and ten _thousand_ (not kidding but measured values!) and it even looked
nicer. And yes, the Qt version contained less code as well ;)

So it's worth to learn C++. It very likely pays off in the very first project.
It definitely will pay off as soon as you need to write something slightly
bigger. "Scripting, programming for the next century"? I strongly doubt that.

Matthias