List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Q: 1.1: panel & taskbar stay on top
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-02-12 13:56:00

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>At 13.24 12/02/99 +0100, you wrote:
>>I just installed KDE 1.1. Before it I have installed 1.1pre and now I
>>have the problem that
>>the panel and the taskbar always stay on top before all other windows.
>>That is quite annoying.
>>Is this a new feature? If yes where can I turn it off?
>>If it is a bug: does anyone already have a patch for it?
>>This behaviour occurred first after installing 1.1.
>
>Matthias Ettrich added this feature. I couldn't convince him that users should
>be allowed to disable that. If you feel lucky, you can try :-)

It's not that easy. One option for always on top, another for always behind?
One for raise-when you click on it, and one for autoraise when the mouse
enters? But of course that shouldn't work if the user uses FocusFollowsMouse,
right? And yes, whenever you change the stacking order, keep in mind that the
panel must be in front of the taskbar (think about autohide) and always inform
the window manager about a change (otherwise the electric borders won't work
anymore). What about one option to raise the taskbar and not the panel, will
break autohide, of course....

I'm really sick of all these options. It's standard that taskbars are on top
and it makes a lot of sense. If you don't like, fix kpanel, but think about the
autohide stuff and the electric borders. Whenever I received a panel patch
during the last half year, it broke some of the options. We definitely have too
many of them, I'm afraid.

Matthias