List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Files in use ...
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-02-06 22:48:44

weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any way to find out wether one file is currently in
> the process of being written ?
>
> KFMIII could then show an animated icon perhaps :-)
> Then people can see which files are currently being downloaded
> from the Web. Sometimes I want to delete files which Netscape
> if currently downloading. Some special icon could tell me:
> This file is opened for writing ...

Today while upgrading my system to SuSE 6.0 I stumbled over a little
Unix tool which seems to do exactly what you want. Itīs called lsof and
it lists open files. It seems quite promising. I included the
introduction of the man page for more information.
But there are also might come up some problems. It has for instance no
real license but you may use the code as long as you mention the
original authors if I understand it right. The other thing is that it
seems to work quite close at the kernel level. So it could cause many
problems(the faq file is quite long:)
So maybe just take a look at it.
Ah right, you can get it at vic.cc.prudue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof

DESCRIPTION
       Lsof revision 4.38 lists information about files opened by
       processes for the following UNIX dialects:

            AIX 4.1.[45], 4.2[.1], and 4.3[.1]
            BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 and 3.[01] for Intel-based systems
            DC/OSx 1.1 for Pyramid systems
            Digital UNIX (DEC OSF/1) 2.0, 3.2, 4.0, and 5.0-Beta
            FreeBSD 2.1.[67], 2.2 and 3.0 for Intel-based systems
            HP-UX 9.01, 10.20, and 11.00
            Linux 2.0.3[2346] and 2.1.8[89] for Intel-based systems
            NetBSD 1.[23] for Intel and SPARC-based systems
            NEXTSTEP 3.[13] for NEXTSTEP architectures
            OpenBSD 2.[01234] for Intel-based systems
            OpenStep 4.x
            Reliant UNIX 5.4[34] for Pyramid systems
            SCO OpenServer Release 3.0 and 5.0.[0245] for Intel-based
                systems
            SCO UnixWare 2.1.[123] and 7[.0.1] for Intel-based systems
            Sequent PTX 2.1.9, 4.2.[13], 4.[34], and 4.4[.12] for
                Sequent systems
            Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, and 7
            SunOS 4.1.x
            Ultrix 4.2

       (See  the  DISTRIBUTION  section  of  this manual page for
       information on how to obtain the latest lsof revision.)

       An open file may be a regular file, a directory,  a  block
       special  file, a character special file, an executing text
       reference, a library, a stream or a network file (Internet
       socket,  NFS file or UNIX domain socket.)  A specific file
       or all the files in a file system may be selected by path.

       Instead  of  a formatted display, lsof will produce output
       that can be parsed by other programs.  See the -F,  option
       description, and the OUTPUT FOR OTHER PROGRAMS section for
       more information.

       In addition to producing a single output list,  lsof  will
       run  in  repeat mode.  In repeat mode it will produce out­
       put, delay, then repeat the output operation until stopped
       with an interrupt or quit signal.  See the +|-r [t] option
       description for more information.

       [snip]

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology