List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: audio zombies
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-02-02 0:32:15

On Mon, 01 Feb 1999 uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Christian Esken wrote:

>> >SIG_IGN wouldn't help. Anyway, for 'normal' KDE apps KApplications
>> >catches the signal and fetches the exit status. And for applications which
>> >use KProcess for launching children KProcess will do all the dirty and
>> >nasty work regarding signals and children. I would really advise to
>> >use KProcess.
>>
>> Which we can only use, when we are a KDE porgram. Well, the audio server
>> is not really a KDE program. So I did my best, but I am not sure what I can
>> do against the exec'ing of kwm. I wouldn't even be sure, KProcess
>> handles this case right, until proven.
>>
>> BTW: kaudioserver only dies when there is no sound hardware
>> available or some fatal error occurs. Its much more important that
>> kaudioserver always closes down when X11 goes down - and
>> this was a semi-impossible task if you ask me.
>>
>> In short: Send me a patch that runs on all conditions (e.g. started
>> by kdm, started via shell and so on).
>
>Christian, kaudioserver can't do anything about it! And the zombies
>aren't real problems. That was what I tried to convey.

Glad to hear that. That releives me very much.

If you want to know why, just peak at kaudioserver.cpp to see what
mess I had to do to get this shutdown thing straight. It's really ugly,
but there's no better way, AFAIK. But I will never touch this thing
again. ;-)

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone