List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KTop: Request for porting; ready for KDE 1.1
From:       Chris Schlaeger <cs () axys ! de>
Date:       1999-01-31 20:08:39

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 03:31:20AM -0800, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:
>

> > Ew, I can't imagine wanting to seriously stick all OS dependant stuff in
> > TWO files.  The Linux code is already rather lengthy and I certianly
> > wouldn't look forward to working on a file that big.  That said, I can't
> > even get ktop to run.  It segfaults in KApplication::getLocale().  :/

To be a little bit more precise: The OS specific code is spread across
at least 6 files. None has more than 300 lines, more than 1/3rd blank
or comment lines. Makes less than 200 lines of code for each
module. Since the code pieces for each platform are not #ifdefed into
each other but each in it's own block I don't see your point.

I haven't found a call to getLocale() in my code. You are probably
talking about a i18n() marco call. I have 101 of them! How about a
more precise bug report if you don't want to debug it yourself?

> * You abort() on some errors that should be handled a bit more smoothly.

I haven't found a single call to abort(). So I tried the assign()
calls. All of them are in situations where it makes no sense to
continue. There might be nicer ways to terminate an application but
since all I have to worry about are open files and allocated memory I
see no reason not to use assert().

> * By sticking all sorts of various OS dependant stuff in one file you make
> it more ugly for me to include various files.  For instance I want to
> include sys/stat.h, and I know Linux has this header.  How can I
> gracefully do this in one file?

Why is

#ifdef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
#include <sys/stat.h>
#endif

a problem? Especially if you put a

#ifdef __FreeBSD__

around it?

BTW, Hans Petter is already working on a FreeBSD version, if that is
the platform you are concerned about.

And I have someone that volunteered for Solaris. How about Alpha/Linux
and HP anyone?

Chris