List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fairly bad KFM bug
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-01-28 21:19:33

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 11:18:28AM -0500, Preston Brown wrote:
> KFM has a somewhat nasty bug.  When you bookmark a page that does not set
> the title, you end up creating a bookmark '.kdelnk'.  This shows up as an
> empty line in the bookmarks menu, etc.  I think it might be wise to have
> it create 'NoTitle.kdelnk' instead, followed by 'NoTitle1.kdelnk', etc.

In various discussions by private email, it appeared that a solution for
not overriding an existing bookmark would be the following :
save the bookmark to a temporary file
(e.g. ~/.kde/share/apps/kfm/tmp/newbookmark.kdelnk)
and then running a kfmjob to move it from there to the bookmark directory.
This would pop up a 'file exists, do you want to rename' dialog box (the
so-called KRenameWin dialog, for brievity), and let the user either
* override the existing bookmark
* cancel
* rename the new bookmark

Ok, there is still the issue whether a page with no title should be saved
as NoTitle or <url>.kdelnk
As some other posts pointed out, NoTitle is much simpler because of all
strange chars that can occur in an URL.

Opinions ? Shall I go for this solution ? (Tomorrow night, probably...)

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |