List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: warnings in latest korganizer in CVS
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-01-25 15:09:04

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, uwe@uwix.alt.na wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Lotzi Boloni wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > I got the following warnings when compiling korganizer with EGCS.  As I have no
> > > experience with bison I haven't looked into these in detail.
> > >
> > > /usr/lib/bison.simple: In function `mime_parse':
> > > /usr/lib/bison.simple:387: warning: implicit declaration of function `mime_lex'
> > > ../vcc.y: At top level:
> > > .../vcc.y:1034: warning: `mime_lex' was declared implicitly `extern' and later \
> > > `static' //usr/lib/bison.simple:387: warning: previous declaration of \
> > >                 `mime_lex'
> > > ../vcc.y: In function `mime_lex':
> > > .../vcc.y:1119: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
> > > sscanholiday.c: In function `yylex':
> > > scanholiday.c:682: warning: `yy_cp' might be used uninitialized in this \
> > > functionscanholiday.c:682: warning: `yy_bp' might be used uninitialized in this \
> > > functionscanholiday.c: At top level: scanholiday.c:1442: warning: `yyunput' \
> > > defined but not used
> >
> > Don't bother. These are normal for any yacc/bison output.
> > The C++ compiler is pickier than the original
> > Kernigan/Ritchie C for which these outputs are
> > generated, but the result works ok.
>
> Well, bother at least a bit. This pointer / integer thingy is tricky on
> 64bit systems where sizeof( int ) != sizeof( void * )!!! And implicit
> declarations of functions almost always lead to core dumps on these
> systems (unless the function returns int anyway).

  I did not say that it is good - I would kick the ass of
everybody who would write such code. But is hard to kick
the ass of a "bison" or "yacc". :-)

  Nevertheless, if bison and lex was installed and working
on the system, it means that those problems were taken care
of (in this rather weirdo way).

         Lotzi

Lotzi Boloni
boloni@cs.purdue.edu  www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/boloni
"Been there, done that, didnt like it, threw it out"

               --Alan Cox, Linux guru
                 about using C++ in the kernel