List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PeopleSpace <--> Kab Merge? (fwd)
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () gch ! ulaval ! ca>
Date:       1999-01-22 6:11:01

> Remeber, the vote is:
>  1 - Rewrite Kab merging it with PeopleSpace

No

?

>  3 - Create a common DB format and APi for both Kab
>      and PeopleSpace but leave them seperate apps

Yes but not now if kab is to be used in more than kab and korganizer

>  4 - Other: your ideas.

Kab should stay small and fast. I guess *less* than 5% of desktop envir
users are needing a contact manager but more than 90% need a reliable
e-mail addressbook. This being the situation, I'd rather like to see kab
remain dedicated to a small (compact) format of DB. PeopleSpace should be
able to read kab DB's as well as kab should be able to filter down a
PeopleSpace DB, but in some irreversible way (I mean, upon a PeopleSpace
DB filtering, the result would be saved on the filesystem in kab format,
for  further use).

So you may want to think to some kind of related classes like:
SimpleABDBClass  (used by kab) which would parent ABDBClass (used by
PeopleSpace). KOM Part thing could also be defined as 2 layers.

Thanks for listening

Cristian