List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Project for KDE (fwd)
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-01-19 6:32:57

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Joel Sing wrote:

> I realise that there are several IDE project for KDE however to my
> knowledge none of them are Rapid Application Development (RAD)
> environments. My plan was to develop a environment similiar to Visual Basic
> and Delphi but on a smaller scale. By RAD I mean the ability to drag and
> drop components onto a form and create the form and its objects without
> manually coding (for example there is no need to manually specify x,y
> co-ordinates for each control).

Well, but don't make the mistake to use coordinates at all.
Delphi programs are very fast to develop, but a pain to i18n!

But that is not what I wanted to say ;) One of my dreams (that
means: started twice, and failed because of lack of time) has
always been to develop a RAD IDE for KDE using Python (not
necessaryly for the IDE, but for the developed programs). This
should make application development really fast. And with the
new pyKDE, it could be easier than before. Perhaps you might
consider this approach?

Bye,
Matthias.