List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: List of various architecture and OS preprocessor defines
From:       Aaron Levinson <alevinsn () inetarena ! com>
Date:       1999-01-15 9:08:20

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Please everyone: forget about these defines as soon as possible. There
> are only
> very rare situations where they are useful. Their use result in more
> ugly code.
> If you don't believe me, take a deep breath and look into kvt sources or
> kscreensaver/passwd.

Right.  Something involving audio, where it's different across multiple
systems, sort of requires ifdefs (for example, kmix).  I don't believe
autoconf can handle this kind of thing.  It's fairly rare that you should
need these defines, but for those times when they do come up, having to
search all over the place for the defines gets very tiresome.  That's why
I assembled the list.

If there's some way to do audio programming stuff without using defines,
please let me know.

Aaron Levinson