List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Quick KOM/Corba Question
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1999-01-06 23:30:56

Hi,

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> [try saying the subject 10 times fast!]
>
> Anyway, I have a quick question about KOM and/or CORBA.  The 'signals'
> example in the corba package does a fairly good job of describing how
> to use signals in KOM... but only within one application.  This is
> helpful, then, but not practical for "real world" use.  If I was not
> going to have interaction *between* apps, then it makes more sense to
> just use "native" Qt signal/slots.

Seems you did not understand CORBA completely :-)
It does not matter wether stuff is in one process or in two.
You can easily devide the example in two processes, but then it
is not so easy to understand anymore.

> Sooo, there *must* be a way of using KOM signals/slots between apps (else
> why have them at all?).  My quick question is: how?  Can somebody with
> a decent understanding of this explain in a few steps how one could modify
> the signals example to have the Sender in one app and the Receiver in a
> totally separate app and have them STILL send each other signals?
>
> <totally_non-related_question>
> Would it be at all possible to have slots that immediately return with
> the KOM interface?  That is, say there is
>
> App1:
> void Receiver::slotClicked()
> {
> 	for(;;);
> }
>
> and
>
> App2:
> 	sender->clicked();
> 	printf("Got here!\n");
>
> With native signals/slots, you will never get to the printf.  Is there a
> way that the slotClicked() function would be called in app2 but execution
> would continue in app1?

Of course printf is reached! It is reached after slotClicked returns.
What you mean is a oneway function. It implements somehow async
communication but it is not fault tolerant any more. See the CORBA
docu about "oneway".

Bye
Torben