List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Directories named *.kdelnk : bug in kfm or KSimpleConfig ?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-01-06 13:34:03

Kalle Dalheimer wrote:

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > kb2024 says :
> >
> > KFM will enter an infinite loop if there is a directory in
> > the applnk tree with a .kdelnk at the end of it's name.  The
> > error is in the kbind.cpp file at line 2091 (and on down).
> >
> > Basically, kbind.cpp is not checking to see if the .kdelnk
> > "file" is actually a directory.  This causes the
> > KSimpleConfig instantiation to wander off...
> >
> > KSimpleConfig should perhaps check for this situation also.
> >
> > kmenuedit allowed me to make the directory I am describing,
> > but when I logged out and back in KDE got REAL stupid.
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > So, should I add a check in kfm, or should KSimpleConfig handle this ?
> > I would vote for the second, because it should really check that it never tries
> > to open a directory as if it were a file. (This is not the first time this bug occurs)
>
> I thought we had already agreed on checking this in kfm? I can of course
> simply fix this in KSimpleConfig, but since this is used by kfm for
> reading mime and applnk files, every line of code that I add to
> KSimpleConfig initialization will slow down KDE startup which is why I
> am reluctant to do so. Of course, if kfm uses it everywhere, it's just
> the same.

The later is the point of fixing it _now_ since you may overlook one
place
in kfm where it's used and - boing!

But if you fix it in kfm you can do better error handling, since
KSimpleConfig
has (unfortunatly) not really a good way of telling kfm that there is a
problem.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.