List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Directories named *.kdelnk : bug in kfm or KSimpleConfig ?
From:       "Patrick D. Dowler" <dowler () pt1B1106 ! FSH ! UVic ! CA>
Date:       1999-01-06 1:28:21

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999, Patrick D. Dowler wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Jan 1999, David Faure wrote:

>>So, should I add a check in kfm, or should KSimpleConfig handle this ?
>>I would vote for the second, because it should really check that it never tries
>>to open a directory as if it were a file. (This is not the first time this bug occurs)

>For now, kfm should check and KSimpleConfig should at least mark itself as
>invalid and return from the constructor.

I shouldn't reply to my own message, but...

Of course, having kfm try to use KSimpleConfig and seeing if it worked is a
valid way for kfm to check the thing.kdelnk. If KSimpleConfig is going to
check (it really should) kfm might just as well use that check rather than
duplicate it... I recall in java that I always just try to open the file by
creating a FileInputStream and catching exceptions, rather than checking that
it exists, chekcing permissions, and then opening it (FIS does the same
checks I do, presumably).

--

Patrick Dowler
Victoria, BC