List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: technical part of 1.1
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-01-04 15:17:03

> What I've noticed is that for every new release certian parts of KDE (kfm,
> kioslave, and a few others) get completely re-written.  This is a huge
> waste, and contributes a few bugs to each new release and is a very
> Microsoft way of doing things.  Plus it seems like every release has its
> source gremlins.  Why not polish up the previous release that was known to
> work reasonably well a little so it works really well (within its
> limitations), and looks good too (source-wise).

   Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. The Microsoftish way is to
have all the old bugs and results of their bad design decisions carried
into the indefinite future. It is not completely their fault, though.

   Rewriting things from scratch when they seemed messed up is probably
the best thing what can be done. It needs a lot of courage, may break
things in the short term, but it is the only way to better code. If the
Emacs team would have rewritten the core several times during all these
years, today we wouldn't have to start from the scratch with small
editors, big editors, IDE-s etc.

             Lotzi