List:       kde-devel
Subject:    About C++ compiler on Sun
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1998-12-27 19:31:04

>5. there is no C++ compiler for Solaris besides GNU's, that knows how
>   to compile a simple C++ program.

  I had a discussion with Alex Stepanov, the C++/STL-guru
(currently at SGI) at a conference several weeks ago. What
he says is that currently the best C++ compiler for any
platform is the KAI C++ (www.kai.com).

  What he said is that:

-it has a perfect compliance to the new C++ standard
(practically the only one - next best being egcs)

 -it employs the best optimizations, beating the native
ones on every platform. I don't know huch much it matters
for KDE, it seems that it definitely does for high
performance computing.

  KAI is a small company, the compiler is expensive, but it
has a 30 days evaluation period. It may be worth trying
out.

        Lotzi Boloni

--
-------