List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kfm remembering what view was last used in a directory
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1998-12-19 17:59:08

> >> Kfm tries to save settings into .directory (if writable and local url), then
> >> bookmarks (if existing), and to kdelnk pointing to this url on desktop. If
> >> nothing of these things are found, it writes error.
> >
> >Great.  'Allow Per-URL settings' has got to be one of the worst things I
> >could have thought of to call this.
> If you have better idea, rename it; David and I are both non-native
> speakers.

   My vote would be Remember Settings Per-URL

   What about a longer explanation for the tooltip?

   And just an idea:
   -picture buttons need a short and quick tooltip. (save, load)

   -menu items should be more self explaining. If they have a tooltip,
that should be longer, explain things in better detail then the menuitem
name, and maybe have a different (longer) delay. Actually, they should not
repeat the menu text, but formulated in such a way that continuously
reading the menu + tooltip to give an explanation.

   Ex:

   Remember settings Per-URL

   If checked, KFM will change to the view
   you used last time in each directory.
   Otherwise the current setting will be used.

   KDE Help

   reads and searches the KDE helpfiles, Unix man pages,
   info files and other html documentation.

   This kind of long tooltips would be especially usefull for the
configuration panel menu, by listing the things which can be set in each
of the panels: i.e. "Fonts etc".