List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mac menu
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1998-12-18 21:55:03

Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 wrote Mats Loman:
> >I would like to see a feature in kwm so that you can store "protected
> >rectangles" in kwm.
> >
> >A protected rectangle is a area of the screen there its not possible to
> >place icons. Allso it would be nice of the rectangle could "as an option"
> >of each rectangle that this area cannot be hidden by a window.
>
> Usually WMs define "allowed rectangles" for window icons.
>
> Nevertheless I don't understand why we need such a thing for something
> rather static like desktop (file) icons.

Personally, I think that one thing that has gotten my goat is that when
running with the taskbar in the top/left corner of the screen, all of the
space underneath the taskbar _cannot_ be used for holding desktop icons.  This
comment is against KDE 1.0, and I haven't tried any of the newer CVS versions
yet to see if this behaviour has been changed.

As for finding defining some space on the desktop where you couldn't place
icons, I can think of one reason; apps running to look like they've been
swallowed into the desktop.  Never fails, one good 'Arrange icons' and I've
got a few things sitting underneath one of my apps.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Why not go out on a limb?  Isn't that where the fruit is?