List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability testing :)
From:       Fester Zigterman <fzr () dds ! nl>
Date:       1998-12-02 16:53:25

On Wed, 02 Dec 1998, some ppl wrote:

>>* The tool/menubar/location-bar can be dragged and docked but they
>>can't be disabled or minimized with the mouse. In the menu they can
>>be disabled. It would be nice if they could be disabled with the
>>mouse as well.
>>(Question: If you disable them with the mouse, how do you get
>>them back with the mouse?)

How about the kpanel way !
Seriously, it would look great to see a(ny) bar "slide" aside
with a click of a button ;-D

>> "View"->"Visual Schnauzer". What is a "Visual Schnauzer"? I know
>> a Schnauzer is a dog, but what does it have to do with KFM? I
>> suggest to call it "Show thumbnails".

And what do my thumbnails have to do with kfm ? ( just kidding )
But i do like the creative language use that is present in many UNIX
apps ...

>>* Under "Options" there is an option "Configure Browser". Why not
>>call this "Set preferences" and put it under "Edit"? Do the KDE
>>guidelines say something about this?

I would say, put all configuration stuff under the Options menu, not
in edit, which should point to the actual functionality of the app,
not the configuration.

>True. Plus: All Desktop things are set from kcmdisplay except properties
>of Desktop icons(transparent text, color...), which are set from KFM. Although
>it is intuitive to us (becouse it is part of KFM) it is not intuitive to user.

I dont agree. I like localized configuration.
On the desktop we currently have "Display properties".
The file manager windows should configure the file manager.
The panel should configure the panel.
Etc.

The config dialog might be a separate program, which can also be accessed
from the kcontrol center.

>And we kinda must take KFM configure dialog out of KFM and move it to kcmkfm.
>KFM can execute it when needed. kcmkfm can tell kfm via kfmclient or KWM to
>reread changed configuration.

But leave a link to it in Options...

>>* The back and forward buttons have key accellerators "Alt-Left"
>>and "Alt-Right". You can't find these keys anywhere in the menu,
>>therefor people will never learn about there existence. Perhaps
>>this could be solved by making a new "Go" menu:
>>Go->"Home"/"Back"/"Forward"/<10 last entries from history>
>History/Forward popups can be bound to Back/Forward buttons. KToolBar
>supports delayed popups (like in Netscape).

>>* Feature request: Add a "find in page" button to the toolbar.

>>* Feature request: Add a "search-engine" button in the toolbar
>> and in the "Go" menu.

I like the Favourites toolbar in netscape ( even if it gobbles up a lot of
space )
Altavista is on it, and so is Slashdot. you cant get faster access that that !
With the nice toolbar slide ability mentioned above :) it would be a joy.

>>Yes. Some buttons can be dissabled/hidden in browser/kfm mode.
Maybe, but be carefull. You always need the functions that are not present ...

* Feature request: full screen mode ( ala IExploder ) with a toggle HOTKEY !!!