List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What's with the background docking icon?
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1998-11-22 22:19:54

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Michael Reiher wrote:
>
> > Agree! Makes no sence to me to put config stuff in the docking area.
> > Because you donīt change your desktop settings every ten minutes. Itīs
> > only wastet space.
>
> Hey, if you don't like it; don't use it.  It's easily enough disabled.
> However, perhaps this should make it into another program for those
> pedants among us.

Ok, ok. Calm down. It wasnīt meant to be offensive. Sorry, if it did
sound like that.
I just wanted to express that IMO it is not useful to put config stuff
in the docking area. I always hate it if every win9x driver paints it
configure icon there. I have three reasons for that:
1. I expect apps there that give either instant information (e.g. kppps
little modem) or access to functions you need very often but that donīt
need to have an own window all the time (e.g. mixer, cd player). But,
well, I admit opinions could differ on that whatīs needed very often :-)
2. It is not very consistant only to have only the background stuff
available that way.
3. There is by default a kpanel item to access the kontrol center.

Well, itīs just my opinion. If you think it is pedantic, ok. I donīt
think it is.

regards

Michael

BTW: There comes an idea to my mind: What about changing the
controlcenter icon to a menu structure like the K-menu to give instant
access to *every* configure dialog?

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology