List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Change resolution? (was Re: What's with the background docking
From:       Burkhard Lehner <b_lehner () informatik ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       1998-11-22 15:25:54

                                               Kaiserslautern, 22.11.98
Hi!

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Matt Koss wrote:

> Resolution is one thing, but how about depth ?
> Is this possible to change depth "on the run" ?
> If it was, this sure would be very useful and I am willing to add this to
> kbgndwm ( and to the completely useful :-)) dock widget ) at the first place.

I don't know if this is at all possible. All the running applications
would have to be informed that the depth has changed, and most of the
pixmaps, images etc. would have to be recalculated. I don't think there is
a mechanism to inform applications that the depth has changed in X11.

I saw a feature like that in some graphic card drivers for Windows 3.11,
but they often had serious problems with old apps running.

Bye,
   Burkhard

   "Manchmal glaube ich, der beste Beweis dafür, dass es anderswo im
Weltall intelligentes Leben gibt, ist der, dass noch niemand versucht
hat, Kontakt zu uns aufzunehmen."
(Aus "Calvin und Hobbes: Immer voll drauf" von Bill Watterson)

Burkhard Lehner, Trippstadter Str. 121 / App. 106, 67663 Kaiserslautern
Telefon : (0631) 10363
EMail   : b_lehner@informatik.uni-kl.de
Homepage: http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~blehner