List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Change resolution? (was Re: What's with the background docking icon?)
From:       Aaron Levinson <alevinsn () inetarena ! com>
Date:       1998-11-22 2:20:30

> >Well, that's sounds like a good reason to have this feature.  In addition,
> >I thought some more about it, and I realized something like this is not
> >unprecedented.  On Windows, Matrox cards ship with a similar utility that
> >sits in the taskbar.
>
> That's where I got the idea, my friend has Windows + Matrox.

If I recall correctly, the Matrox docklet (heh) allows you to change the
resolution and depth from its pop-up menu.

I've looked practically everywhere if there is some standard way to change
the X resolution, and I can't find anything.  You can return the current
resolution using the DisplayWidth() and DisplayHeight() Xlib macros, but
that's all I could find.  XFree86 allows you to change the resolution
using CTRL-ALT-LShift and CTRL-ALT-RShift, but I don't know if this is
standard, and I don't know if all X's support something like this.  I
checked in the O'Reilly Xlib book, but I couldn't turn anything up.

So, does anyone know if there is a standard programmatic way to do this?
It would be really cool if this feature could be added to the kbgndwm
docking icon.  As far as I know, something like this is not available
anywhere for Unix.  Or, do you have to be super-user to do this?  It would
be pretty lame if you can't do this with X but can easily do it on
Windows (which you can).

Aaron Levinson