List:       kde-devel
Subject:    default-color for widgets
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1998-11-20 17:00:51

Hi developers,

Perhaps you have already noticed that KDE uses a much darker
default-background-color for the widgets than other GUIs (If you don't
believe me, make a screenshot of KDE and compare under Windows if you
have or start Wine). Windows, OS/2, TkShell, Mac OS/2 and BeOS (and the
Gimp) use exactly the same color by default - a light grey - and they
have their reasons: Compare the KDE-default-color-scheme with the
BeOS-color-scheme (this includes the lightgrey) in KControl. You will
notice that:

a) the light-grey looks much friendlier and 'less ugly'
b) More Important: the black menutext is MUCH BETTER READIBLE on the
lightgrey background than on the KDE-default -grey.

'Then turn your Monitor brighter' you might say, but:

a) Some monitors don't allow such high changes (Mine does, but there are
many out there that don't....)
b) More Important: I don't know if you ever saw a screenshot of KDE on
printed matter, magazines or books e.g (I've seen many): They often use
the default-color-scheme and you will have noticed that the menutext is
much harder to be read on the KDE-screenshots than on other
GUI-screenshots. Often it looks a little bit ugly. it's really annoying,
so

Please, could someone change the default-widget-color to the BeOS color
for KDE 1.1 ?

Grettings,
Torsten