List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hand cursor
From:       Matthias Hoelzer <hoelzer () physik ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1998-11-19 6:44:07

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> This does bring up an idea I've had before.  Would anybody be interested
> in a "unofficial patches" page?  As on open-source project, the vast
> majority of submitted patches to KDE get integrated.  However, there are
> still *some* that don't for one reason or another.  Often this is because
> a patch runs contrary to what the author wants.  That *doesn't* mean that
> the author of the patch doesn't still want the change and it *doesn't*
> mean that others wouldn't want it.  The 'mutt' mailer has such a page
> as the 'mutt' maintainers are pretty strict about what gets put into the
> final product.

Hello Kurt,

I havn't followed the discussion about the hand cursor, but I think the
idea of an "unofficial patch page" is not a very good one. Even less if
it is done by an active KDE developer ;)

I think a single source base is one of the most important things in KDE
development. And this fact will become even more important when it is
possible to patch Qt. So I would rather prefer to

a) discuss the topic until a solution is reached or
b) make it configurable

then splitting development. I fear this would create a lot more problems
than benfits.

Bye,
Matthias.