List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Potentiometer Widget
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1998-11-09 20:03:59

Werner Trobin wrote:

> Hi,
>      I'm wondering if there's something like a potentiometer
> Widget somewhere in the libraries.
> (like the Volume control knob on your old hi-fi equipment :-)
>
> I'd need this for a kind of analog input (floating point value).
>
> If there's nothing comparable yet, I'll start writing on it. Maybe
> you can give some hints? (e.g. Position in the hierarchy, name,...)

There was a discussion on kde-devel some time ago. Donīt know if that
widget does still exist. Here is the original message:

     Subject: New Widget: KPotentiometer
        Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 08:20:16 +0000
        From: Rik Hemsley <rik@keyline.co.uk>
          To: kde-devel@kde.org

I just wrote a widget that some people might like, some not.

You know the knobs/dials on music equipment ? That's it.

If you've seen Cubase VST or SLab you'll know what I mean.

Brief description:

Uses pixmap for both dial and 'notch'
Similar functionality to slider, but rotates ;)

Basically, looks good because it looks however you make the pixmaps.

Any suggestions for added functionality, get them to me, I'd be more
than happy.

The only thing really different to a slider is that you can hold shift
to increment values by one. Something I find really irritating about
value changing widgets is when you can't select an exact value. You can
give your widget a range of, say, 0 - 10000 and when you move the mouse
(left/right because people are more accurate that way) you move up in
100's (1%) intervals. Then if you want to select an exact value, hold
shift.

Good idea ? I hope so. It'll please people who write music apps.

Cheers
Rik

> Thank you in advance,
> Werner

> Werner Trobin, Neubaugasse 30, A-9500 Villach,
> Austria (Europe)
> Email: wtrobin@carinthia.com
> Homepage: http://members.carinthia.com/wtrobin/

Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology
          Department of Computer Science
               email: michael.reiher@gmx.de