List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Compound file" library?
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1998-11-05 7:17:44

On 05-Nov-98, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Russ Steffen wrote:
> [snip]
> > I hate to say it, but that almost sounds like the IFF format that the
> > Amiga used to use. General purpose segmented file, each segment identified
>
> I was waiting for this reference to appear, since I've been hearing Amiga
> users talking about it for so long (i've never even seen an amiga!) and it
> seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> The nitpick? I don't know if I am willing to implement the archiving
> library for this format myself. If a library suddenly appears, I will use
> it.

I think I'd take a shot a at it. I've written a lot of code for pulling
apart IFF files and putting them back together in the past, but it was
all in C and 680x0 assembler. It should be interesting to put a C++
interface on to that.

Just wondering if I should stick to the spec exactly or should some liberties
should be taken. The spec specifies that segements in the file be identified
by 4 character tags, which can be kind of limiting, and it also specifies that
all data be stored as big-endian. I'm all for following the spec closly but
I'd be open to suggestions.

Russ