List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kzip
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-11-04 16:54:06

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 02:02:36PM -0500, Robert Palmbos wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Ok, looks like there is a consenssus for 'ark'.
> > Can I go for it and rename kzip ?
> > I ask because I don't want to see another 'GRRRRRRR' mail for thanking me for
> > my help... :)
> >

> Hello all,
>
> Looks like I resubscribed to kde-devel just in time.  Being the author of
> kzip I thought I might comment on the name change. :)  'Ark' sounds
> good.  Since I'm stuck behind a firewall I'm not able to do much with CVS
> without jumping through a bunch of hoops so if you want to change the
> name to ark, go ahead.  Otherwise I will get to it eventually.  But
> please change it to Ark _everywhere_ outside of the sources.  This would
> include the README, the kdelnks, the Makefile, the documentation and
> possilby other places.

Ok. I renamed kzip to ark everywhere INCLUDING the sources (in case some other
hacker like me wants to touch the source code, it helps if it's consistent).
I also :
* added mimetypes to SUBDIRS (that's why they were not installed)
* removed the .lsm as ark won't be a separate app on ftp.kde.org anymore. It
this ok ?
* Got rid of kfdird and used KDirDialog instead (much nicer!)
* Added layouts to dialog boxes (so that i18n'ed labels can be seen completely,
and resize events are well handled)
* Fixed the config file handling (added setGroup calls, because KDirDialog
   *changes* the current group - is this a bug in KDirDialog ?)
* i18n'ed some more strings (such as tooltips)

One problem is :
if users install 1.1 over 1.0, they will still have kzip associated with
archive files (because of kzip's kdelnk). Even if kzip can't be launched
(because of binary incompatibilities in the libs), I think it will still cause
problems, the bigger being ark not being launched on clicking on an archive.

Should I add the necessary commands in Makefile.am to remove kzip and
kzip.kdelnk when installing ark ?

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |