List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Halloween article...
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1998-11-02 11:23:28

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> Hmm.  Anyone else see the MS response to the Open Source/GNU community?
>
> Kinda amusing that Gnome wasn't even on their radar, but KDE certianly was
> (with URLs to screenshots).  Ahh if only what they said about Linux was

I don't know where he got the "90,000 lines of code" from. A quick run
through the packages

kdegraphics/ kdenetwork/ kdesupport/ kdebase/ kdelibs/ kdenonbeta/
kdeutils/ kdegames/ kdemultimedia/ kdesdk/

shows the following result (for .h, .cpp and .cc):

Total: 	636349 lines
Code:	420182 lines
Comment: 106679 lines
Blank:   109488 lines

Percentage Code:        66%
Percentage Comment:     16%
Percentage Blank:       17%
Percentage Cmt/Code:    25%
Average Code/File:      140 lines

Off the top of my head, I'd probably add another 150,000 lines or so after
koffice and the other modules are taken into account, plus other files
I've missed (.C, in hindsight). And that doesn't even begin to take into
consideration stuff like documentation, i18n, automake/conf etc...

This is a hefty project, guys. Well done. Let's cross 1 MLOC before KDE is
4 years old. ;)

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   KDE: The Desktop sans Toga