List:       kde-devel
Subject:    XTerminal Testing and kpanel
From:       Timothy Whitfield <timothy () ametro ! net>
Date:       1998-10-30 20:46:41

I recently aquired an IGel thin client (linux in the flash ram).  I have been
using it as a secondary client for my KDE computer.
(www.igel.de -- but there site seems to be down lately)

1> For testing with kde
2> Because I have wanted to see an Xterm my whole life

I succeeded in logging in to kdm and getting into kde, both over a 10megabit
ethernet and a 128k ISDN.  Actually 64k ISDN worked, it just wasn't smooth.  It
was still 10x better than remote administration on NT over a T1.

The only real thing that I think needs to be looked at is the hide animation on
kpanel.  I realize that at times we might feel pressured to compete with 98's
animation widgets; however, it just will not work efficiently on a remote
machine until high bandwidth becomes more prevelant.  I would just like
point this out before more widgets become animated.

Now that everyone can afford unix/X on their personal computer, X is no
longer only network constructed GUI.  I still think its greatest strength
remains in that it is extremely networkable  and I would not like to
unnessecarily encumber that strength.

I also wanted to mention these tests were using remote window management.  It
would all work much cleaner with local window management, but apon speaking
with Igel, they would charge $50,000 to integrate kwm into their terminal's
flash.  But with all of kwm's options/themes etc. I am not sure how that would
work being that updating flash ram frequently would defeat the purpose of a
no-maint terminal vs pc.

Timothy