List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Libs version number (was: Upcoming KDE-1.1 Release)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-10-12 12:10:19

David Faure wrote:

> > 4. Changes from KDE1.0 to KDE1.1
> > --------------------------------
> > - KDE libraries now carry the major number 2, for example libkdeui.so.2.0.0
> > - KDE libs with major 2 are NOT binary compatible to KDE libs with major 1
>
> I know it's probably too late, but wouldn't libkdeui.so.1.1.0 have been more
> ... logical ?
>
> Just a thought.

No, it wouldn't.

Major number is for binary incompatible changes
Minor number is for additions
Patch level is what it says

So, since it's a defacto standard in KDE that noone cares about
additions and
patch levels we only have to increase the major number at releases.

The version number of the libraries do not affect the version number of
the
product/package. It may be confusing for _some_ users but it would be
confusing
for _some other_ users if not :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Its just that all men are sure it never happened to them and
all women at one time or other have done it so you do the math.