List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The next KDE versions (Printing)
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-09-10 14:15:58

Antal Novak wrote:
> In my opinion, we should simplify such matters for the user as much as
> possible!  In Windows, it is only a matter of going to Control Panels ->
> Printers, installing a driver from a floppy (once), and from then on, just
> clicking "Print".  The average, novice user will not *WANT* to, nor will
> be *ABLE* to, go through the steps of writing a shell script to handle his
> printer.

Why not have a scroll-down list of printers (perhaps sorted by another list
of manufacturers a la winblows), which will contain a large database of
printers.
The program will then know how to handle printing for each printer
(ghostscript will be used. The parameters for each printer are pre-defined
in the program database).

Regards,
Yannai.

Yannai A. Gonczarowski    System Administrator    yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il