List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CVS access
From:       Alex <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-09-09 5:56:23

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Stephan Kulow wrote:
[...]
> what Hans means, is that it's the standard /etc/passwd
> encryption used for example by Solaris and AIX (not
> saying Linux here! ;-). FreeBSD in return does not use
> this mechanism as far as I understood.

It uses MD5 based encryption by default, to dodge the stupidass American
crypto laws.  You can easily download the DES stuff (which generates DES,
and understands both) and install it if needed.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |