List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProcessControl and signals.
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-08-10 8:49:21

Hi!

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Steffen Hansen wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Steffen Hansen wrote:
>
> > Since the KProcessControl object is constructed from KApplication whether
> > you need it or not, i see two ways of fixing this:
> >
> > 1) Defer creation of the KProcessControl singleton until KProcess is
> >    actually used.
>
> In fact KProcess already creates a KProcessControl singleton if it doesn't
> exists. Why does KApplication also do this? Would it do any harm if i
> deleted the lines:
>
>   if ( theKProcessController == 0L)
>     theKProcessController = new KProcessController();
>
> from KApplication::init() ?
> (Testing on Linux shows that the lines can be deleted)

AFAIK it should not do any harm if the KProcessController is not created
by the KApplication object. --- Kalle, maybe you could comment on that?

BTW: As an interim solution you could also set back the signal handler to
its default behaviour after KApplication has been created (of course no
KProcess object will be fully functional in that case.)

     Christian

BTW: I would be interested to know _why_ the installed signal handler
     causes kdm to die on Solaris. --- Do you have any ideas?

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |