List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: apology
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-07-23 15:51:14

My own wish for MDI would be to make kwm be able to manage windows that
are not childs of the root window, but childs of the main MDI window :-)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Timothy Whitfield wrote:

> Guys, I know I wanted to start off and do this Kinstallshield proggram and
> since you have heard little from me.  Aside from my work I have had to
> take on a contract programming job.  I am glad to see that the work on the
> Kinstallshield type program is being carried forward.  When I am done with
> this job I promise I am going to do some coding on KDE.  I still think KDE
> is the best thing going and would like to congratulate all of you on your
> success so far.
>
> I still keep up with the status and read all the developer mail I have
> time for.  I am striving to find a place in my life where time permits me
> to work with you and when I find that I will be happy.
>
> Still, from time to time I have seconds to spend.  I have been trying to
> research how to put an MDI type interface into place with KDE.  I realize
> that on the whole, most KDE programmers will not want to use the MDI
> interface, because in X it would mean that no matter which window manager
> you ran the program in, the title bars of the MDI windows would always
> look like KDE similar to the way Star Office always looks like fvwm-95.  I
> still believe it is important to have such an animal available to
> programmers with a warning listed on it.  Who knows maybe eventually I
> will figure out how to get the real title bars on the sub-windows.  But I
> wanted to know if any of you know of any information that would help me to
> try and unravel this mystery.  Even refrences to kde source files that may
> be affected would be helpful at this point.
>
> To the KISS coders:
> I wish I could be helping now.  Maybe soon I will be able to.  Good luck
> and happy coding.
>
> Thanks,
> Timothy

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).