List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProcess users?
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-07-15 7:35:05

Hi!

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Alex wrote:

> Welp in an attempt to clean up some kirc code (hey you in the corner..
> stop snickering!!), I came across a function that looked like
>
> void Client::SendToDCCChat(const char *nick, const char *say)
> {
>   [...]
>   (KProcess *)->writeStdin((char *)say, strlen(say));
> }
>
> ICK!  Now in converting the parameters to QStrings, I run across this
> slight problem of what to do.  Ideally I'd like to change KProcess to take
> constized arguments for things like this.  However, I don't know what this
> might break (or if it's even binary incompat).  I'd like this to be
> somewhat of a RFC.

I've just had a look at the KProcess includefile. --- The problem with the
missing "const" only seems to apply to the "writeStdin" function. (All
other functions already have a "const" where it is reasonable.)

OTOH such a change has the potential of breaking source compatibility with
a lot of existing code, so I'm not sure whether it would be worth all the
hassles.

Alex, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe some other developers could also
comment on that.

     Christian

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |