List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Note for kfm developers, please read
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-07-13 11:11:23

Bo Thorsen wrote:

> This smells an awful lot like my number one hated feature in windows: The
> Registry. I will fight every single attempt to include a registry in kde!
It's not anything like the windows registry.
It's simply a database (like rpm, deb, pkg, and others) which contains
information about installed programs. No more, and no less.

> I can't see why every app should register itself in a registry. I don't
> wan't more overhead on kfm to check the database of apps, every time
> something is deleted (and not checking for this feature turned off
> either).
Trust me, if you'll turn it off, you won't notice the 'overhead' (checking one
variable).
Besides, when apps are installed using kiss, it creates entries in the
database for them. The app doesn't need to register itself.

> It's like riding a bicycle, you have to fall sometimes before you learn
> how to do it.
But if someone catches you just before you hit the ground, you can still learn
:-)

Regards,
Yannai.

Yannai A. Gonczarowski    System Administrator    yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il