List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Good literature about qt?
From:       Richard Moore <moorer () cs ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-07-03 14:48:32

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:02:00 -0400
> From: Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth@pobox.com>
> To: kde-devel@kde.org
> Cc: sysop@bonn-online.com
> Subject: Re: Good literature about qt?
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 12:00:47PM +0200, Andreas Buschka wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am currently trying to write my first QT/KDE programs, but I am in need
> > for more easy to understand documentation. The QT tutorial found in troll
> > tech's web site is nice, but it does not go far enough. Does anyone know
> > good books about QT/KDE programing?
> >
> > Greetings, Andreas Buschka,
>
> Can you be a little more specific on what is not in the Qt tutorial
> and examples that you were looking for?  I have been trying to convert
> everybody I know to use Qt and I always show them to the tutorial
> and examples first.  Invariably, I hear things like "It's nice.. but
> not very helpful" and variations of your complaint.  Nobody can
> tell me *what* is lacking, though.

I think what is lacking is applicability to the problem most people are trying
to solve - that of putting a GUI using the existing widgets around a piece of
code. The Qt tutorial, while it is useful in that explains about signals and
slots, and about creating new widgets, does not really seem to be much help to
people who want to know 'How do I create my menus', 'How do I create my status
bars' etc.

Rich.

> For the record, *I* thought the tutorial was very helpful for learning
> Qt.  I have had prior C++ and GUI (Microsoft Foundation Classes, for
> example) experience, though.
> --
> Kurt Granroth
> kurt_granroth@pobox.com
> http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
>
> Motorola
>  Space and Systems Technology Group
>   Ground Systems Division
>    Diversified Technologies Services
>     Software Engineer

| Richard Moore                         | Email: richard@cs.man.ac.uk   |
| IT301, Computer Science dept.,        |           rich@kde.org        |
| University of Manchester, Oxford Rd., | Phone: (0161) 438 0038 (home) |
| Manchester, M13 9PL                   |        (0161) 275 6270 (work) |
| UK                                    |        (0161) 275 6280 (fax)  |