List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDBC, Databases with KDE in general
From:       Frugal <frugal () fysh ! org>
Date:       1998-06-29 9:26:04

Lars Doelle wrote:
> My proposal is, to put together a kdatabase package, containing the work
> of the ones above and the kdbc and the odbc data source administrator,
> that i was working on. If we could manage to come out with basic SQL
> database support and to keep maintaining/extending this, i would already
> consider this as a great improvement w.r.t. the current situation.
>
> Further, respecting the spear tip of the KDE development, koffice2, i'm
> very certain that contributions to kspread, that allow to read from SQL
> databases or even a own SQL part would most warmly be welcomed.
>
> Another imported project would be a kool table widget, that is useful
> for database applications. Although this does not appear to be such a
> great issue, it in fact requires a lot of effort, and currently everyone
> who has started a SQL query (and update!) tool had to face this one as a
> missing link.

No doubt I will annoy a few people here by mentioning a windows product
but here goes ;O)

Has anyone seen the way Delphi does database connectivity, it has:

- Database objects which are the physical connections to the whole
database.

- Tables which connect to a Database and allow you to browse a single
table

- Queries which allow you to send a piece of SQL to the database (either
returning a dataset or just executing a command depending on the SQL).

- Datasources which are the interface between tables and queries and the
visible controls.

- Data aware controls, such as a data aware edit box which will
automatically get updated with the current field in the table whenever
you change the row you are looking at.

The nice thing about the way it works is that it is all transparent,
there is none of the aggravation of setting each control every time the
data changes manually. Editing the value in a control will automatically
try to put the table into edit state and then moving off of the row in
the table will automatically post the changes.

The way QT works it should be relativly easy to get a basic structure
set up of KDatabase, KDataset, KTable, KQuery and KDataSource and with
multiple inheirtance we just need a KDataAwareControl then we can
subclass any control to get the data aware version.

I had a go a number of months ago trying to do this with Postgres but
unfortunalty the interface is a bit cumbersome and undocumented. However
with a nice standard ODBC interface to a number of different datbases...

--
Frugal                      + I would be infinitely more comfortable in
                            + your presence if you we treat gravity as