List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas for new KDE projects
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-06-22 20:41:01

Max Berger wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 Bartlomiej Czardybon wrote:
> >I've been talking once to Torben, and he proposed such form for
> >smb url:
> >
> >smb://host|workgroup//share/directory
> >smb://host - lists shares on host
> >smb://|workgroup - lists workgroup
> >smb://| - list workgroups
> >smb://host/share
>
> Why use a | as a seperator between host and workgroup? What about the
> all-mighty, allways-used dot "." ? I personally think that a dot would be
> better, since its the one char always used. After all, workgroups are the
> samba-substitutes for domains. I think anything else but a dot would be
> confusing.
> This is my proposition
>
> smb://host.workgroup/share/directory
> smb://host - lists shares on host
> smb://.workgroup - lists workgroup
> smb://  or
> smb://. - list workgroups
> smb://host/share
>
> The only reason why a dot shouldn't be used is if the lanman protocol allows
> dots in host-names. I am not sure, but I don't think it does.
>
> Questions? Comments?
Yeah.
Since smb connections are with IP through port 23, why can't this be possible:
smb://host.domainname|workgroup/
Who said that the host needs to be in your domain? (if it's nslookuped, it
could be from anywhere).

I agree that | isn't a good seperator, but dot should be reserved to
domain-names.

Regards,
Yannai.

Yannai A. Gonczarowski    System Administrator    yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il