List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: htmlw-bug
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-06-19 10:46:17

Stephan Goetter wrote:

> hello,
>
> try this file with kfm:

> <head>
> </head>
> <B><</B>
> <B>></B>
>
> the output of kfm is only:

This is okay.
keep in mind that an html viewer ignores all tags it does not understand (so
that it will still be able to view newer documents with newer tags).
Now, the kfm reads, until it comes across a tag it does not understand, in
this case: <</b>, then continues reading and finds a character: > and displays
it. since an html reader should not report any error when no closing tag for
something is found, it does not complain about having two <b> and only one
</b>.
In any case, use &gt; and &lt;.

> I don't know if this is correct or good html, but either
> both chars or no one of them. I also tried this one:
> ..
> <>
> ..
>
> and got a clean page.
Once again, an unrecognized tag: <>.
In that, too, you should use &lt; and &gt;

Regards,
Yannai.

Yannai A. Gonczarowski    System Administrator    yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il
The Hebrew University High School    http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/~yannaigo/