List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DTP & TeX... (long posting, sorry)
From:       Richard Moore <moorer () cs ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-06-05 14:26:51

> From: "Robert Schöftner" <r.schoeftner@magnet.at>
> Date: Wed,  3 Jun 1998 16:18:43 +0200 (MEST)
> To: kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
> Subject: Re: DTP & TeX... (long posting, sorry)
>
> weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > very nice!
>  >
>  > If you want to work with many developers together then it
>  > might be a good idea to use our CVS server ( I hope you
>  > have some space left coolo ).
>
> this would be fine... when i get it to actually do something, and
> migrating it to use all those configure-stuff, i could move the source
> tree :-)
>
>  > Embedding KOffice Parts should not be a problem. if you
>  > can embed EPS in your output and if you accept child widgets
>  > on your canvas widget ( Embedded parts have their own window )
>  > then it should not be any problem.
>
> is there an extra mailing-list for koffice (and all corba-related
> stuff)? widgets and EPS-output will not be a problem...
>
> and i'd like to know if there are any efforts to more generally embed
> some interpreter à la python into koffice or kde (perhaps via corba?
> fnord?) (I would *very* much appreciate it if i could write (at least
> prototype) all those dialog-related stuff in some sort of scripting
> language, python preferred)

Take a look at kpython which I uploaded to ftp.kde.org a couple of weeks ago,
this is a class that encapsulates an embedded python interpreter. It allows you
to call methods, functions etc., to execute code strings and much more. It's
based on the simple embedding API described in the O'Reilly Python book.

Rich.

> servas,
>   robert

| Richard Moore                         | Email: richard@cs.man.ac.uk   |
| IT301, Computer Science dept.,        |           rich@kde.org        |
| University of Manchester, Oxford Rd., | Phone: (0161) 438 0038 (home) |
| Manchester, M13 9PL                   |        (0161) 275 6270 (work) |
| UK                                    |        (0161) 275 6280 (fax)  |