List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Linker problems
From:       Richard Moore <moorer () cs ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-06-02 18:27:18

> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:14:24 +0200
> From: Lars Hoss <Lars.Hoss@munich.netsurf.de>
> To: "kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de"
<kde-devel@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Subject: Linker problems
>
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the sources of kgdb and
> copied the ktreeview sources to my testapp.
> But I cannot compile it, because the linker
> says, that there is already a ktreeview in
> libkdeui. What do I have to do?

If the file you have is really called kgdb then you need to download kdbg which
is the new name (the old one was already being used).

> Furthermore I want to ask again what you think
> of a lib containing some usefull widgets?
> I think during my KSite project I will need
> many complex widgets. And there are many other
> projects out there who need also special widgets.
> I saw in the LSM that there are some good widgets.
> Not everyone wants to download the sourcecode,
> compile it and so on. So I think, a lib would
> be the best?

The problem is binary compatability. Either you statically link things or you
need to be very careful and these widgets are often not finished enough to have
their interfaces frozen. The best thing to do is include the widget with the
source for your app (and then remove it if/when the widget is moved into kdeui
(after KDE 1.0)).

Rich.

> cu, Lars
>
> --
> Lars Hoss
> email: Lars.Hoss@munich.netsurf.de
> WWW: http://www.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/~hoss

| Richard Moore                         | Email: richard@cs.man.ac.uk   |
| IT301, Computer Science dept.,        |           rich@kde.org        |
| University of Manchester, Oxford Rd., | Phone: (0161) 438 0038 (home) |
| Manchester, M13 9PL                   |        (0161) 275 6270 (work) |
| UK                                    |        (0161) 275 6280 (fax)  |