List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Fwd: KDE and fonts
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-05-28 16:46:21

Ivan Schreter (MM) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been told that you are more-or-less KDE coordinator and that I should
> contact you. KDE is great, I've done some bugfixing lately myself.
> However, KDE doesn't still correctly handle international fonts in many apps.
> (I mean non-iso-8859-1, like iso-8859-2 that I use). I have contacted Jacek,
> who made most of charset stuff. However, most programmers just ignored the
> stuff and stubbornly write apps so that they can use only iso-8859-1 charset.
> So what I propose is to create a QFont replacement, called KFont, that would
> encapsulate charset stuff so fonts display correctly. Also it would be needed
> to go over config file read/write so that they use correct methods for
> storing fonts. Since I consider these internationalization issues a must
> for a first release, I want to go over all KDE packages and fix the
> stuff by replacing occurences of QFont with KFont and checking config
> file read/write. Another reason why to do it now is to ensure that 1.x
> will be binary compatible with 1.0 version.
>
> I'd also like to check if apps correctly use KFontDialog for selecting
> fonts (now KFontDialog is fixed and charset selection works as expected
> in it).
>
> So, what's your opinion?
I think, you're right. But beeing a developer myself, I just do not know
enough about, what's needed. So, make a suggestion, how to make this
simple
and then I'm sure, we can do, what's needed. But to make it simple is
more
important than fixing the current sources.

Believe me, developers are lazy! ;)

> And one by-the-way thing: Why some apps still use QFileDialog instead of
> KFileDialog? I think that KDE apps are supposed to have same look&feel,
> so it should be fixed by 1.0 too.

Well, I think, you're right. It's just, that I didn't want to push
someone
unless I'm 100% sure, that the kfileselector will work in every
situation.
And currently I'm just 90%.

Greets, Stephan

--
Am billigsten ist Zahnersatz in Schweden, denn da kostet
die Krone nur rund 'ne Mark.